Sunday, September 13, 2015

Week 3: Soundtrap

It is truly amazing how much cool technology is available for free. This week it was great getting to explore Soundtrap, what a fun program. Honestly, I started working with the free version before upgrading to the premium trail version. I thought the free version had a lot to offer. I really enjoyed playing with all the loops, and could easily spend hours exploring all the neat sounds it has to offer.

As an elementary teacher, I could easily see some of my older (4th and 5th grade) students loving this sight. I wish I had some extra computers in my classroom (I only have one) so small groups of students could work on creating pieces of music as a center based activity. I could also see using this software with my talented and gifted small group of students. The program is not too complicated and offers so many sounds and options.

I could also see me using the program to create loops to back up impove singing activities with my younger students. I am not great at piano or guitar, my main instrument is clarinet, so this offers me a way to accompany my students that is easy to use.


I have always loved technology, but feel I am out of the loop now that I have been out of college for eight years. I have found games for my students and create simple activities using my smart board, but I never thought I would find cool programs to create music that are appropriate for elementary students. I have to say that creating music with my students has always been an area that I do not spend as much time on as I feel I should, but have found myself getting excited about creating now that I have found fun new ways to do it with. I definitely feel my students will be doing a lot more creating this year and I don’t think they will be nearly as apprehensive about it because of all the cool software they get to utilize.

No comments:

Post a Comment