Sunday, September 6, 2015

Week 2: Notation Software Review

This weeks task of using music notation software was wonderful. In my undergrad I used and took a class on Finale and Sibelius. I have always loved Finale and have always wanted to own it, but the cost is so high that I have always just gotten by with the free/sample versions. Using the sample version of Finale is extremely frustrating and it never does all the stuff that you need and want it to do. I have not looked for a free notation system in a while, but Musescore is my new “go to” software.

Musescore is a great alternative to Finale and has everything I could possible want. From what I remember from Finale, Musescore is set up in a very similar way (maybe an older version). It is easy to set up a score and extremely easy to enter in notes and rhythms. I especially like all the functions available for free with dynamics and articulations. I hate when music does not looked organized and even, with Musescore it is so easy to get everything lined up and looking nice.

I can’t wait to re-type my 5th grade recorder music into Musescore. I typed up my recorder packets almost seven years ago using a free version of Finale and over the years I have had to edit the music by hand because the free version was only good for so long. The music is starting to look run down and very messy. Musescore will easy give my music a facelift this year.

As for Noteflight, I was not as impressed with this software. It is a little more difficult to use and almost seems clunky compared to Musescore. I think the difference is that Noteflight is an Internet based program, were Musescore you download the software and use it on your computer. Noteflight can only offer so much as an Internet based program or it would not work online, where Musescore can offer a lot more options. Though it is nice having the option to not download the software. Noteflight might actually be better to introduce to students as a free software option, because it is not as complicated as Musescore.


Overall, I was very impressed with the software this week and can’t wait to discover other new gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment