This week has been a little less interesting compared to
previous weeks, though still informative. This week we covered copyright laws
and Google Sites.
I remember talking about copyright laws in my undergrad,
because as a music educator I feel we have to deal with copyright laws
frequently. Copyright is in place to protect people’s work and with technology
and the Internet you can find almost anything online, but that doesn’t mean it
is all public domain. Learning what can be used and what can’t is important. I
found a link on copyright that is appropriate for elementary general teachers: http://www.bethsnotesplus.com/2015/09/copyright-laws-how-much-do-you-know.html?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=rss
Google Sites are a great tool for educators. Having a free
online resource to post information for parents and students can be extremely
beneficial in today’s tech savvy culture. I know the first thing I do when I
want to know something is look online, so I’m sure my student’s parents would
benefit from me posting important information online. I can easily get a free
website to post information about instrument rehearsals, lesson schedules,
practice information, and concert dates and attire.
The other great way I came up to use Google Sites for is
teaching purposes. I could have a chorus website with information about the
music we are learning and sound clip or YouTube videos of the music we are
working on. Another great thing to put up is accompaniment tracks for students
to practice with. Asking students to practice their chorus music without an
accompaniment can be difficult, especially when they come back and have
practiced the music incorrectly because they forgot how it sounds. I could put
up clips to practice with, like me singing the parts we were working on that
week.
Overall, Google Sites seem easy to work with and a great
resource for my students. The only thing to watch out for are copyright laws
especially when posting music for students to listen to or practice with.
No comments:
Post a Comment